Friday, January 27, 2012

You dont have to depend on Mr. Clean!

Everytime i pick up a bottle of store bought cleaner i fret at spraying it around my little one. When i cleaned the shower and tub or the toilets all i could smell was the fumes from those cleaners. I decided it was time to experiment with making my own so i knew what i would be breathing in and not have to worry about the chemicals around the baby. I also had to make sure that what i was using was gonna do the job and do it well. Being a new mom and also working full time, i didnt have hours to spend scrubbing.
My findings: Baking soda and vinegar rock! To clean the tub, toilets, and sink i simply wet the surface with water, shake on a little baking soda, and then spray on some vinegar that i have stored in a spray bottle. The vinegar makes the baking soda fizz and thats when you know its working its magic. Then just use a rag and wipe the surface clean. I was totally amazed at how clean my tub and shower came without all the elbow grease!
    For a multi-purpose cleaner (this does well on windows, countertops, faucets, etc) i use 1 part vinegar and 4 parts water mixed in a spray bottle. If you dont like the smell toss in a few drops of lemongrass oil or perhaps lavander oil. I dont care for the smell of the vinegar but it is much better than that of bleach or other chemical packed cleansers, and the smell doesnt stick around! And make sure you use a washable rag for clenaing instead of a papertowel. It costs less and better for the environment!
HAPPY CHEMICAL FREE CLEANING!

1 comment:

  1. frugalmomma,
    I agree...hate harsh chemicals. Studies indicate those who use them suffer more allerfies and breathing problems. I use a product called CALDREA. Love, love, love this product. My favorite fragrance is Basil Blue Sage. The herb scent stays in the room long after cleaning!!!
    My MoMa used vinegar...and ammonia for cleaning house when I grew up. She also bleached everything in her business! Yuck! Keep those ideas coming this way, dear. I'll be following!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete